Wednesday 9 September 2015

My English Learning Journey (Edited)

Born in a family without any foundation in English, I came in touch with the basics in kindergarten, followed by Primary School and Secondary School. 

Stating the fact, I always had more interest towards Chinese, since my family speaks mainly Chinese and the teachers that taught me gave me lots of wonderful memories. My English on other hand, usually just manage to pass, or should I say I never do well in the subject.

It was until Primary5, where the exam papers and things taught were linked to PSLE, I noticed the importance of English. I have to do well in order to be promoted to Secondary level. Being one of those that had English remedial, my teacher spent time answering to every doubts that I had. It was all those efforts of my teacher that makes me motivated, it was also all these supports that I receive, it was my first time I felt that there was still hope with English. And I am glad to say, I managed to pass and did well with PSLE.

I was confident with English when I entered Secondary school, however, it was shortly after, and I noticed that I’m back to zero again. It seems like what I was taught in Primary was different from what were taught in Secondary.  Compositions that were submitted came back to me filled with red inks. Grammar error, sentence structure, until today, these are still haunting me. Even with extra lessons given, my results never improve.

With efforts, luckily, I manage to pass O’Levels too. English language have always been my weakness, a polar opposite of my Chinese language. With the effective communication module, I hope I would understand and improve my language.


Edited: 11/9/15 23:05

========================================================================

I separated my original post with the edited version so as to compare and see the differences between the two.


EDITED VER


Born in a family without any foundation in English, I came in touch with the basics in kindergarten, followed by primary school and secondary school.

I always had more interest towards Mandarin, as compared to English, since my family speaks mainly Mandarin and the teachers that taught me gave me lots of wonderful memories. On other hand, I usually managed to get a just pass for English and never did well in the subject.


It was not until primary 5, where the things taught were linked to PSLE, that I noticed the importance of English. I had to pass in order to be promoted to secondary level. I was selected to be in the English remedial class, where my teacher spent extra time with me to answer to the doubts that I had. It was all those efforts and supports that I receive from my teacher which made me motivated. It was my first time that I felt that there was still hope with English. I am glad to say, in the end, I did managed to pass and did well for PSLE.


I was confident with English when I entered Secondary school. However, it was shortly after, where I noticed that I am back to zero again. The things which I had learnt in primary school were different from what were taught in secondary. Compositions that were submitted always came back to me filled with red inks. All sorts of possible errors such as grammar, sentence structure, fragments and etcetera, these are still haunting me today. Even though I had attended remedial lessons, my results never improved. With efforts, luckily, I managed to pass O’Levels too.

English language has always been my weakness, which is a polar opposite of my Mandarin language. With the effective communication module, I hope I could improve in my writing skills and also build up my confidence with the language.


Edited: 20/9/15

5 comments:

  1. Hey Fang Ying!
    The same thing happened to me in secondary school too!
    My compositions had quite a substantial amount of red ink on it followed by a very depressing score at the end of the paper. Haha.
    May i suggest watching an English show that you are interested in, that way you can learn both grammar and vocabulary while being entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fang Ying! I am glad you persevered through and did not give up on learning English. I came from a Chinese-speaking family as well, so I can understand your struggles with English. I had my compositions returned to me filled with red inks too. I hope you were not discouraged by those remarks as both of us were able to learn from our mistakes through those red inks written by our teachers. Let's not give up and continue to strive to improve our English over time. Cheers!

    - Eliza Tay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Fang Ying!

    First off, I would like to say that I really admire your determination and the amount of effort you have put in to improve your English!

    I can definitely understand how it feels like to receive a composition filled with mistakes pointed out by your teacher returned to you since I went through a that in Primary School too! However, I believe that as long as you continue to persevere you will definitely reap the benefits of your hard work!

    Since a form of learning English is through communicating, we shall converse in English from now on! Let us work hard together to improve our English!

    Karyn Choy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Fang Ying. I appreciate this honest, heart-felt reflection. It speaks volumes to me in two ways. One is that you have indeed come a long way in terms of your language development and the use of English. Your post is generally comprehensible. You are using English to communicate in a well focused manner at a decent level.

    The other thing is that, while you have been using English since you were a child, your writing shows many ***fossilized*** ‘errors’ related to the way you speak English. That is to say, since you write just as you speak, you break many language conventions out of pure habit. See the list below:

    1) Stating the fact, I always had more interest towards Chinese, since my family speaks mainly Chinese and the teachers that taught me gave me lots of wonderful memories. >>> Stating which fact? Also, which teachers? The ones who taught Chinese?

    2) My English on other hand, usually just manage to pass, or should I say I never do well in the subject. >>> (verb tense )

    3) or should I say... >>> (too conversational)

    4) It was until Primary5, where the exam papers and things taught were linked to PSLE, I noticed the importance of English. >>>>

    4) It was NOT until Primary 5, where the exam papers and things taught were linked to PSLE, THAT I noticed the importance of English.

    5) I have to do well in order to be promoted to Secondary level. >>> (verb tense: past event, right?)

    6) Being one of those that had English remedial, my teacher spent time answering to every doubts that I had. >>> (dangling modifier) Your teacher had English remedial? That's what this sentence says.

    7) It was all those efforts of my teacher that makes me motivated, it was also all these supports that I receive, it was my first time I felt that there was still hope with English. >>> (run on sentence: see https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/598/02/ ) and (verb tense)

    8) And I am glad to say, I managed to pass and did well with PSLE.

    9) I was confident with English when I entered Secondary school, however, it was shortly after, and I noticed that I’m back to zero again. It seems like what I was taught in Primary was different from what were taught in Secondary. >>> (run on sentence / verb tense / subject verb agreement errors)


    10) Grammar error, sentence structure, until today, these are still haunting me. >>> sentence structure

    11) Even with extra lessons given, my results never improve. >>> (verb tense)

    12) With efforts, luckily, I manage to pass O’Levels too. (verb tense)

    13) English language have always been my weakness, a polar opposite of my Chinese language. >>> (subject verb agreement)

    Here's my hope: You will realize that you tend to write just as you speak. After all, you simply write down what you hear as you speak to your self in your head. Then you will unlearn that habit. You need to "pay attention" to what you write in a different way. Specifically, you need to REVIEW whatever you write, and you need to edit that and rewrite taking into consideration what you KNOW while referencing grammar conventions.

    This is not just about hard work, but about noticing what you do, or more specifically, reflecting on what you do.

    I'll give you feedback along the way.

    Can we follow this approach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. You need to change the font of your comment section. This one gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete